Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Shpatzirin

Those wishing to stalk me on Thursday can find me at the Shpatrizirn "Hip-Hop Machers" event at Sara Delano Roosevelt Park. The event itself is described on the Nonsense New York Mailing List as:

Tonight, Shpatzirin presents Hip-Hop Machers, with
performances by Akil Dasan and Vanessa Hidary, followed by a
screening of Joey Garfield's Breath Control: A History of
the Human Beatbox.

Hip-Hop Machers examines the dynamics between Jewish and
hip-hop cultures. The performance program presents Akil
Dasan and his band with a reading by Vanessa Hidary. Both
Dasan and Hidary have straddled the color line as they have
been perceived as non-Jewish by their peers. Dasan will
perform with his band and has offered to read a poem
entitled "Black Jew". Hidary's work explores issues of race
and ethnicity, and her own experiences as a Syrian-Jewish
woman growing up on the Upper West Side interacting with
black and Latino communities. Joey Garfield's Breath
Control: A History of the Human Beatbox is remarkable in his
ability -- as a Jewish filmmaker -- to access the key
players in the elusive cult of beatbox culture within the
urban landscape of New York City. The film includes an
interview with DJ Yuri Lane who is currently performing a
new beatbox musical, From Tel Aviv to Ramallah.


In truth, I have no idea if it will be any good at all. I am going mainly because the yiddish word, Shpatzirin, which I only discovered through this listing. It means "a stroll without destination," and at it's best, that's how I feel my life in New York is. I probably would have named my blog Shpatzirin if I'd heard the word in advance.

I'll see if I can grab any photos of the event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home